Dove recently started a sponsored Twitter campaign to encourage women to speak more positively of themselves and each other. Their hashtag #SpeakBeautiful doesn’t appear to be trending in my area but why couldn’t we make it so?
I used to be the most brutal person ever with self talk. No one would ever be more critical of me than me, whether it was how I looked, something I thought, something I said, or something I had done (or left undone). I continued on this path for years and years, beating myself up for every failure, real or perceived. I thought I had to be perfect or people wouldn’t like me. Instead, I was miserable and no one saw the real me.
Someone important to me said “You love your little niece, don’t you?” Of course, my answer was yes. She said “Would you want her to say bad things to herself about herself?” My answer was “No, that would be horrible. She is precious.” And then my friend delivered the key line “So why do you say things like that to yourself? Aren’t you worth loving too?” I had no answer to that – why was I doing something to myself I wouldn’t wish on anyone else?
Be kind to yourself. You are worth it.
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
- Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
- Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. This is writing in the raw.
- Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
- Link back to Fadra’s post (feel free to use her SOC Sunday graphic).
- Read the instructions on her post to link your own post there.
- Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.